Heartburn; that burning sensation we get in the lower chest sometimes after eating, followed by sour or bitter taste of acid reflux in the throat and mouth. It is a condition where which stomach acids back up into the esophagus.
Thankfully, it can be largely avoidable. Learn about 6 of the top foods that can trigger heartburn.
1. Citrus Fruits: Oranges, grapefruits and orange are acidic and can cause heartburn especially when consumed on an empty stomach.
2. Tomatoes: Although, they can be extremely beneficial for health, they are highly acidic and likely to cause heartburn in those who are prone to it. Eat them with caution.
3. Garlic and Onion: They may cause heartburn for some people. Try keeping a log of the foods consume in order to determine if garlic and onion trigger heartburn when it comes to you.
4. Spicy Foods: Pepper or other spices may taste amazing, but they can be heartburn triggers. Choose milder spices when cooking for a safer option.
5. Peppermint: Some say peppermint is soothing for the stomach, but it might also trigger heartburn. It relaxes the sphincter muscle that lays between the stomach and esophagus, which may allow stomach acids to flow back into the esophagus.
6. Caffeine: Too much coffee can cause heartburn.
Have a healthy life, free of heartburn.